At Little Étoile, we are not only committed to sourcing high quality organic ingredients from approved suppliers but we also meticulously test across a range of allergens, toxins and nutrition to ensure safe and trustworthy products for your little stars. We employ strict quality management, whereby ingredient and product quality and safety are controlled and tested throughout the entire process from farm to pouch.
Little Étoile Organic® is free from the 15* most common allergens
At Little Étoile Organic® we have a strict allergen management program in place that complies to The Allergen Bureau’s VITAL program (Voluntary Incidental Trace Allergen Labelling) and involves testing during the manufacturing process and further testing when each batch is finished, to ensure cross contamination has not occurred.
We test every single finished batch using an accredited laboratory to ensure our products are free from the 15 most common allergens, as determined by the Australian & NZ Food Authority (FSANZ)¹
Egg, gluten, milk (except in custard), peanut, soy, macadamia, crustacea, almond, hazelnut, sesame, walnut, fish, pistachio, cashew, and lupin.
Our procedures comply and go above standards of the peak allergen body in Australia, The Allergen Bureau.
Although allergies don’t affect every infant or toddler, for the 1 in 10 who are affected², it’s a scary and often life-threatening condition, which is why we consider risk prevention and clear food labelling a mandatory aspect of our role in food safety.
*Based on list by the Australian & NZ Food Authority – FSANZ¹, except milk in custard variety
- Food Standards Australia New Zealand (2019). Food allergies and food intolerances. Available at https://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/foodallergies/allergies/Pages/default.aspx
- Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA) (2019). Food Allergy. Available at https://www.allergy.org.au/images/pcc/ASCIA_PCC_Food_Allergy_2019.pdf
We are more than just organic - our products are tested for heavy metal impurities
A recent US study testing 168 different brands of baby foods, found toxic heavy metals (mercury, lead, arsenic and cadmium) in 95% of the products analysed¹. What about organic? Unfortunately, you can’t trust that if a product is organic it won’t contain heavy metals, Heavy metals occur naturally in the environment and certain fruits and vegetables absorb more than others during the growing process, either through the soil or water. Studies have shown contaminations of up to 6 times the recommended limit when testing organic baby products².
“Infants are especially sensitive to toxins. This is because their organs are still developing, and their bodies are less able to detoxify.” – World Health Organization ³
This is why we have every single batch of Little Étoile Organic voluntarily tested for these heavy metal contaminants by an accredited lab in Australia. We do not release any pouch to the market until we have the results confirming that they are safe for infant consumption.
- Jane Houlihan, MSCE, and Charlotte Brody, RN, Healthy Babies Bright Future (2019). What’s in my baby’s food? A national investigation finds 95 percent of baby foods tested contain toxic chemicals that lower babies’ IQ, including arsenic and lead. Healthy Babies Bright Futures. Available at https://www.healthybabyfood.org/sites/healthybabyfoods.org/files/2019-10/BabyFoodReport_FULLREPORT_
- Brian P. Jackson et al. (2012). Arsenic, Organic Foods, and Brown Rice Syrup, Environmental Health Perspectives, volume 120, issue 5, 2012, pages 623–626, ISSN 0091-6765, doi 10.1289/ehp.1104619 on.
- Gardener H, Bowen J, Callan SP. Lead and cadmium contamination in a large sample of United States infant formulas and baby foods. Sci Total Environ. 2019;651(Pt 1):822‐827. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.09.026
World Health Organisation (2018). Childrens Health and the Environment. Available at https://www.who.int/ceh/capacity/Children_are_not_little_adults.pdf
We are accurate and honest about nutrition
Nutrition claims are often used on food labels, The Food Authority allows two types of nutrition claims ”source of ” or “good source of” and these claims can only be made if a product meets certain nutrient criteria. ¹ Claims such as “with calcium” are used to bypass meeting the requirements and mean that there is actually very little of that nutrient in the serving.
It is our mission to empower parents to make informed purchasing decisions which is why you will only find honest and accurate claims on our products.
Nutrition Information Panels
It is a requirement for all food products to include a Nutrition Information Panel outlining key nutrition content, however, many food companies will use theoretical values from databases to inform their values which are unfortunately not always correct. Although this is permitted, it isn’t best practice and therefore not good enough for us, which is why all our products are tested in an accredited laboratory to accurately assess the nutrition content.
The nutrition values on our products are not just tested at time the product is released to the market or freshly made, but also tested regularly during the product shelf life as part of our comprehensive stability testing program. With Little Étoile Organic, you can feel confident in what nutrition your baby is truly receiving.
- Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. Available at https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017C00333. Schedule 19.