The Opti-5 system recognized that the five areas of:
- Digestive health
- Cognitive function
- Eye health
- Growth & Development
are integrated to support optimal health and wellbeing. All 5 health areas are likely to be affected, either alone or in combination, by sub-optimal health or conditions.
The common factor here is the nutrients, and each area has its own unique nutrient functions and requirements. In general, nutrients can be simplified into serving two main purposes in infants and children, based on their biological roles in the body:
Energy production: macronutrients such as carbohydrates and fats are broken down with the help of micronutrients to release energy in cells and tissues
Building-up and utilization: protein and micronutrients help to use the energy that is produced to make new parts of cells and tissues, which is how tissues grow and regenerate.
- Digestion: extracts nutrients from food and controls their absorption into the body, and uses what is left over to power itself
- Brain function: consumes carbohydrates and specific nutrients to power itself and the proceses it uses controls how the rest of the body uses energy
- Eye function: is integrated with brain health in controlling how the body moves and learns, which are key energy consuming processes
- Immunity: consumes macro- and micro-nutrients that protect the integrity of all systems
- Growth and development: the biggest consumer of energy and nutrients in growing children